Food Drive to Benefit Neighbors in Need (Challenge to End Hunger)
One bad month. That’s all it takes for many Americans to be economically devastated. The CODID-19 pandemic has brought more than a year of bad months, and the United States is experiencing a crisis of hunger and food insecurity that hasn’t been seen since the Great Depression.
As part of the Catholic Sisters Week Challenge to End Hunger and Food Insecurity, the Sisters of St. Francis of the Providence of God are sponsoring a food drive from March 8-12, 2021 that will benefit St. Winifred Food Pantry, which serves families and individuals in Pittsburgh’s South Hills. Those able to join our effort may bring donations of non-perishable food, toiletries, and hygiene products to administrative offices located at 3757 Library Road (Suite 250), Pittsburgh, PA 15234. Drop off times are 8AM – 4PM. For more information, directions or to schedule an after-hours drop-off, please contact the Sisters at 412-885-7232 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other ways to join us during Catholic Sisters Week and beyond include:
- Organizing regular food drives for a local food bank or food pantry.
- Setting up a Community Garden, Little Free Pantry, or other project serving persons experiencing food insecurity or hunger.
- Volunteering for a food pantry, soup kitchen, meals on wheels, or other organization serving persons experiencing food insecurity and hunger
- Donating to an organization that is working to end hunger, food insecurity, or food injustice.
- Contacting your local, state, and federal representatives and advocate for policies that will increase access to food, including expanding SNAP benefits, increasing the minimum wage, and funding food initiatives.